Middle Helladic Matt-Painted Carinated Bowl Rim Fragment
|Showing 1 of 1||
Middle Helladic Matt-Painted Carinated Bowl Rim FragmentMiddle Helladic
ca. 2000 BCE - ca. 1550 BCE
2 5/16 x 3 1/4 x 5/16 in. (5.9 x 8.3 x 0.8 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: P.506
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Bowls
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- bowls - Rounded, cuplike, hollow parts of objects, such as the body of a stemmed vessel or the part of a pipe in which tobacco is burned.
- bowls - Rounded vessels that are generally wider than they are high, usually hemispherical or nearly so. A bowl may have a spreading base or foot ring and sometimes two handles or a cover. Distinguished from a cup, which is rather deep than wide.
- Matt-painted - Refers to the style of pottery produced on the Greek mainland and dating from the Middle Helladic, characterized by simple, handmade shapes including many closed vessels, and decorated with painted geometric or linear motifs. It is also recognizable due to the dull appearance of the surface, in contrast to pottery where the surface has been burnished, and thus rendered lustrous.
- Middle Helladic - Refers to the style of artistic production in the southern and central Greek mainland during the Bronze Age between circa 2000 and 1600 BCE distinguished by Minyan and Matt-painted pottery and the development of tholos tombs.
- rim sherds - Fragments of a ceramic or glass vessel from just below the rim.
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
- maximum length Dimensions: 2 5/16 x 3 1/4 x 5/16 in. (5.874 x 8.255 x 0.794 cm)
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Middle Helladic Matt-Painted Carinated Bowl Rim Fragment".View current selection of records as: