Corinthian Pottery Rim SherdArchaic
ca. 625 BCE - ca. 550 BCE
1 11/16 in. x 4 in. x 3/16 in. (4.33 cm x 10.17 cm x 0.48 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- checker pattern - A bold geometric pattern of regularly placed alternating squares or lozenges of contrasting colors or textures.
- concentric - Describes two circular or spherical figures, spaces, or objects that have a common center or axis.
- Corinthian - Refers to a pottery style created in the city and region of Corinth in the Peloponnese in south-central Greece, and exported extensively in other parts of Greece, Italy, and Egypt, particularly in the second half of the seventh century BCE and the first half of the sixth century BCE. It is characterized by large vessels and bold decoration arranged in friezes covering most of the surface. Designs are in black-figure on a light terra-cotta background, with red, white, and incised additions. Motifs may have been inspired by Eastern textiles and typically include animals, monsters, or human figures, with ornaments such as dots, leaves, or rosettes scattered over the background.
- rim sherds - Fragments of a ceramic or glass vessel from just below the rim.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
- stripes - Long, narrow bands, typically of a different color.
- vase paintings - Refers to two-dimensional decoration applied to pottery by using paint made of metallic oxides or other pigments held in suspension in slip or another medium. The term is particularly used to refer to Ancient Greek red- and black-figure works. See also "porcelain paintings (visual works)."
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
- maximum length Dimensions: 1 11/16 x 4 x 3/16 in. (4.33 x 10.17 x 0.48 cm)
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BALHW" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Corinthian".View current selection of records as: