Classical Drachm of Thasos
|Showing 1 of 1||
Classical Drachm of ThasosClassical
ca. 410 BCE
5/8 x 9/16 x 1/8 in. (1.6 x 1.4 x 0.3 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: C.81
Geography: Europe, Greece, Thrace, Thásos
Classification: Exchange Media; Coins
Collection: Elisabeth Washburn King Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- Classical - Refers to an ancient Greek style and period that begins around 480 BCE, when the Greek city-states defeated the Persian invaders, and ends around 323 BCE, with the death of Alexander the Great. It is characterized by the rebuilding of cities after the Persian wars, the flourishing of philosophy, drama, architecture, sculpture, painting, and the other arts. In the visual arts, it is known for the mastery of the human form and sophistication of architectural design.
- drachmas - Small, silver Greek coins originally equivalent to six obols and issued from the 6th century BCE; usage continued by the Parthians and Sassanians until the 7th century CE.
- incuse - Use to describe a design or part of one, as on coins, that is rendered in intaglio rather than in relief.
- Satyrs and Maenads - Maenads are human female followers of Dionysus (sometimes called Nymphai) - Note added June 2010 by M. Weldon.
- silver - Pure metallic element having symbol Ag and atomic number 47; a malleable, ductile, white metal with characteristic sheen, considered a precious metal. Silver is widely distributed throughout the world, occurring rarely as metallic silver (in Peru, Norway) but more often as silver-gold alloys and silver ore. Today silver is obtained as a byproduct in the refinement of gold, lead, copper, or zinc ores. Silver was smelted from the ore galena as early as 3800 BCE. As a pure metal, silver is second to gold in malleability and ductility, can be polished to a highly reflective surface, and used -- typically in an alloy -- in jewelry, coinage, photography, mirrors, electrical contacts, and tableware.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- A Treasury of Knowledge: An Exhibition of the Bryn Mawr Collection of Ancient Coins , Sep 1, 2005 – Dec 1, 2005
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Classical Drachm of Thasos".View current selection of records as: