Republican Denarius Issued by Caesar
|Showing 1 of 1||
Republican Denarius Issued by CaesarRepublican
47 BCE - 46 BCE
11/16 x 11/16 x 3/32 in. (1.8 x 1.7 x 0.2 cm)
Gift of Aline Abaecherli Boyce, MA 1928, PhD 1932, in honor of Lily Ross Taylor, PhD 1912, Professor of Latin and Dean of the Graduate School
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: C.1296
Classification: Exchange Media; Coins
Collection: Aline Abaecherli Boyce Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- denarii - Roman silver coins originally valued at ten asses, later debased in value and purity; in use from the late 3rd century BCE until the mid-3rd century CE.
- fathers - Men who have children, either biologically or by adoption.
- female - Referring to the sex that normally produces eggs or female germ cells.
- Heroes and Myth
- Republican - Refers to the period in history and style of art that developed when Rome was ruled by the Republic, from its founding in 509 BCE through the Battle of Actium in 31 BCE or the formal establishment of the Empire in 27 BCE. Art produced during this period reflects the political power, glories, and distinguished ancestors of the ruling families, resulting in many portraits and historical reliefs. The style is characterized by the influence of Classical Greek art and an emphasis on extreme realism.
- silver - Pure metallic element having symbol Ag and atomic number 47; a malleable, ductile, white metal with characteristic sheen, considered a precious metal. Silver is widely distributed throughout the world, occurring rarely as metallic silver (in Peru, Norway) but more often as silver-gold alloys and silver ore. Today silver is obtained as a byproduct in the refinement of gold, lead, copper, or zinc ores. Silver was smelted from the ore galena as early as 3800 BCE. As a pure metal, silver is second to gold in malleability and ductility, can be polished to a highly reflective surface, and used -- typically in an alloy -- in jewelry, coinage, photography, mirrors, electrical contacts, and tableware.
- sons - Male offspring.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- A Treasury of Knowledge: An Exhibition of the Bryn Mawr Collection of Ancient Coins , Sep 1, 2005 – Dec 1, 2005
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Republican Denarius Issued by Caesar".View current selection of records as: