- Prints made from an etched printing plate, which is a metal plate on which a design is made by coating the plate with an acid-resistant substance, creating a design in the coating, and then exposing the plate to acid, which etches the plate where the metal is exposed. For designs incised directly into a copper plate using a burin or graver, use "engravings (prints)."
- Refers to the culture of the modern nation of France, or in general to cultures that have occupied the area of the modern nation in western Europe.
- Refers to strings of beads or knotted cord used for a religious exercise in which prayers are recited and counted on the beads or knots. The term is most often used to refer to strings of beads used in Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy, although it may also be used to refer to prayer beads employed in Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, and other religions. In Christianity, the practice was adopted in the 3rd century by Eastern Christian monks, and various forms of the rosary were developed. In Roman Catholicism, the rosary became a popular method of public and private prayer. The most common rosary is the rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, comprising beads arranged in five decades (sets of 10), each decade separated from the next by a larger bead. The two ends of the string are joined by a smaller string holding a crucifix, two large beads, and three small beads. The devotions consist of the recitation or chanting of fifteen decades of Aves, each decade being preceded by a Paternoster and followed by a Gloria.
- Sticks held in the hand and used for support in walking, especially as a fashionable and often ornamental accessory when taking a walk.
- Refers to female human beings from young adulthood through old age.
Click an image to view a larger version
Dimensions: 5 11/16 x 4 in. (14.5 x 10.2 cm)
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template:
<ref name=BMC>cite web |url=http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/161891 |title=Beggar Woman with Rosary (La Mendiante au Rosaire) |author=Bryn Mawr College Library Special Collections |accessdate=1/26/2022 |publisher=Bryn Mawr College</ref>
Showing 1 of 1
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Beggar Woman with Rosary (La Mendiante au Rosaire)".