|Showing 1 of 1||
American (1844 - 1926) Primary
Drypoint and soft-ground etching
State: Fifth state
14 3/8 in. x 10 1/2 in. (36.51 cm x 26.67 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 1949.16
Geography: North and Central America, United States
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- aquatints - Prints produced from designs created by the aquatint process, by which a printing plate is covered with a coating and etched with acid so as to create a range of tonal values, often combined with line work. The resulting print resembling a watercolor.
- dressing chairs - Eighteenth-century term referring to chairs, particularly those used by women, located in the dressing room.
- dressing glasses - Small freestanding mirrors, usually supported on a standing frame within which the glass can be adjusted, designed to be used on a dressing table. Dressing glasses are sometimes made with a boxlike base fitted with small drawers.
- drypoint - Intaglio process in which a sharp needle scratches the plate creating a burr that yields a characteristically soft and velvety line in the final print.
- soft-ground etchings - Prints made using the process of soft-ground etching.
- women - Refers to female human beings from young adulthood through old age.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Mirrors and Masks: Reflections and Constructions of the Self Bryn Mawr College , Mar 23, 2017 – Jun 4, 2017
- Worlds to Discover: 125 Years of Collections at Bryn Mawr College Bryn Mawr College , Sep 24, 2010 – May 28, 2011
- Cassatt-Neel-Kilmnik: Painted Faces Moore College of Art , Jan 17, 2002 – Feb 25, 2002
- A Picture of Mary Cassatt: Prints from the Bryn Mawr College Collection Kelly McCullough , Mar 17, 2000 – Mar 20, 2000
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
and Steven Z. Levine.
Mirrors & Masks.
Bryn Mawr College.
Bryn Mawr, PA, March, 2017
Page Number: 34, Figure Number: Plate 7
- Mary Leahy, "Mary Cassatt: Her Color Prints at Bryn Mawr." Bryn Mawr Now 9, No. 2 (November 1981): 1, 6-7.
Mary Cassatt, Alice Neel, Karen Kilimnik: Painted Faces
Goldie Paley Gallery, Moore College of Art and Design.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2002
Page Number: 31
Suzanne G. Lindsay,
Mary Cassatt and Philadelphia
Philadelphia Museum of Art.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 1985
Page Number: 88, Figure Number: 50
Catalogue Raisonné ListThe following Catalogue Raisonné exist for this object:
- Adelyn Dohme Breeskin, Mary Cassatt: A Catalogue Raisonné of the Graphic Work (Washington, D. C.: Smithsonian Institution Press, 1979), 65, 148. Figure Number: 152
Related Object(s) Click a record to view
Afternoon Tea Party
In the Omnibus, or The Tramway
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "The Coiffure".View current selection of records as: