- Refers to the context of or associated specifically with the modern political entity of the United States of America.
- Railed platforms projecting from the exterior walls of buildings. Use also for similar interior features, when small. For larger platforms which extend the length of one side of a room or are recessed behind an arcade, use "galleries (upper level spaces)."
- Denotes openings, which contain or could contain a door, that provide access into or out of building spaces.
- Prints on paper incorporating impressions of a reverse design created on a printing plate, usually copper, into which the design has been incised (engraved) using burins or gravers. Historically, "engravings" has sometimes been incorrectly used to refer to all prints, regardless of the specific technique. For prints made from designs engraved on a flat wooden block, use "wood cuts"; for prints made from a plate that is etched rather than engraved, use "etchings."
- Long, narrow, flat-bottomed, bilaterally asymmetrical boats having a tall ornamental stem, propelled by a single sculling oar and used as water taxis along the canals of Venice.
- Refers to the culture of the modern nation of Italy, or in general to cultures that have occupied the boot-shaped Italian peninsula in the Mediterranean Sea.