St. Christopher Facing Left
|Showing 1 of 1||
German (1471 - 1528) Primary
St. Christopher Facing Left1521
Engraving on laid paper
State: An early impression
4.63 in. x 2.88 in. (11.75 cm x 7.3 cm)
Gift of Eleanor May Morris, Class of 1941, MA 1970, in honor of Carol Biba, Head of Public Relations, Bryn Mawr College, 1950-1972
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2007.9.3
Geography: Europe, Germany
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Engravings
This object has the following keywords:
- Christianity - Refers to the world religion and culture that developed in the first century CE, driven by the teachings of Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Its roots are in the Judaic tradition and the Old Testament. The tenets include a belief in the death and redemptive resurrection of Jesus. The religion incorporates a tradition of faith, ritual, and a form of church authority or leadership.
- engravings - Prints on paper incorporating impressions of a reverse design created on a printing plate, usually copper, into which the design has been incised (engraved) using burins or gravers. Historically, "engravings" has sometimes been incorrectly used to refer to all prints, regardless of the specific technique. For prints made from designs engraved on a flat wooden block, use "wood cuts"; for prints made from a plate that is etched rather than engraved, use "etchings."
- German - Refers to the cultures, periods, and styles of the modern nation of Germany, or the cultures that have occupied the area of the modern nation in central Europe. More broadly, it can refer to the cultures of the ancient groups of related peoples who inhabited central and northern Europe, and who spoke dialects from which the Germanic or Teutonic languages developed.
- religion and mythology
- saints - People recognized by others as holy persons; in various religions, the dead who are believed to be in Heaven. In the Roman and Eastern Catholic churches, people who are formally recognized by the Church as having had exceptional holiness of life and therefore an exalted station in heaven, and who have often been formally canonized.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Temperamental! Prints in the Collection of Bryn Mawr College Bryn Mawr College , Mar 20, 2019 – Jun 2, 2019
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "St. Christopher Facing Left".View current selection of records as: