Japanese (1760 - 1849) Primary
Children at Play - Five Stylish Festivals (Furyu kodomo-asobi gosekku)ca. 1789
15 3/4 in. x 10 1/2 in. (40.01 cm x 26.67 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- color woodcuts - Woodcuts that incorporate color, usually through combining a series of blocks in precise registration that have been inked with individual hues and pressed onto one support.
- Japanese - Nationality, periods, cultures, and styles found in Japan, either in historical times or in the present.
- Ukiyo-e - Distinctive genre in painting and other media, but most prominently in woodblock printing. It arose in the Edo period (1600-1868) and built up a broad popular market among the middle classes. Subject matter typically focused on brothel districts and kabuki theatres, with formats ranging from single sheet prints to book illustrations. Generally, the style is characterized by a mixture of the realistic narrative of the Kamakura period and the mature decorative style of the Momoyama and Edo periods. Distinctive styles and specialties in subject matter were developed by different schools throughout the period.
- woodcuts - Prints made using the process of woodcut, which is a relief process in which the design is cut into and printed from the plank side of a wood block; distinct from "wood engraving (process)," which is a relief process using the grain end of a wood block.
- Feed Your Head: Food as Material and Metaphor Bryn Mawr College , Nov 4, 2011 – Dec 20, 2011
- Japanese Wood Block Prints: Images of a Floating World Haverford College , Mar 28, 1987 – May 3, 1987
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Japanese wood block Prints: Images of a Floating World.
Comfort Gallery, Haverford College.
Haverford, Pennsylvania, 1987
Page Number: 27 (Ex. 57)
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Asian Prints" and [Object]Object Type Sub 1 is "Prints" and [Object]Display Artist is "Katsushika Hokusai".View current selection of records as: