Sheep from the Caucasus
|Showing 1 of 1||
Russian (1848 - 1886) Primary
Sheep from the Caucasus1875
4 3/8 in. x 4 1/2 in. x 2 1/2 in. (11.11 cm x 11.43 cm x 6.35 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- bronze - Refers to a broad range of alloys of copper, specifically any non-ferrous alloy of copper, tin, and zinc or other trace metals. Bronze was made before 3,000 BCE -- possibly as early as 10,000 BCE, although its common use in tools and decorative items is dated only in later artifacts. The proportions of copper and tin vary widely, from 70 to 95 percent copper in surviving ancient artifacts. Because of the copper base, bronze may be very malleable and easy to work. By the Middle Ages in Europe, it was recognized that using the metals in certain proportions could yield specific properties. Some modern bronzes contain no tin at all, substituting other metals such as aluminum, manganese, and even zinc. Historically, the term was used interchangeably with "latten." U.S. standard bronze is composed of 90% copper, 7% tin and 3% zinc. Ancient bronze alloys sometimes contained up to 14% tin.
- figurines - Three-dimensional works that represent humans, animals, or mythical beasts at less than half life-size. While the term may be used interchangeably with "statuette" in certain situations, it differs in that a statuette is always free-standing while a figurine may be part of a larger work, such as a decorative detail on a candelabra or mirror.
- Russian - Refers to the culture of the modern nation of Russia, or to the cultures that have occupied the principal lands of historic Russia in eastern Europe and northern and western Asia. It may also be used to refer to the larger group of cultures controlled by the historic Soviet Union.
- "All-Over" Design: Lockwood de Forest between Ahmedabad and Bryn Mawr Bryn Mawr College , Oct 24, 2019 – Mar 1, 2020
- Home Departure and Destination Bryn Mawr College , Oct 4, 2013 – Dec 31, 2013
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Sheep from the Caucasus".View current selection of records as: