Late-Corinthian Miniature Phiale (Libation Bowl)
|Showing 1 of 1||
Late-Corinthian Miniature Phiale (Libation Bowl)Archaic-Classical
ca. 550 BCE - 400 BCE
3/8 x 1 7/16 x 1 7/16 in. (0.9 x 3.6 x 3.7 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Late Corinthian - Refers to the late phase of Corinthian pottery style, dating from around 575 BCE to around 425 BCE, after which Corinth was no longer a major exporter of pottery. It is characterized by continued mass production and repetitive designs with little detail, as well as innovative work created with apparent care. Painting on these vessels typically includes elaborate ornaments arranged in formal patterns, a lively animation of design, and animals with attenuated proportions. During this phase animal scenes were gradually replaced by more scenes of human figures.
- miniatures - Object genre including various types of things that are a smaller or reduced version of an original, such as a likeness or representation on a small scale or a small-scale model.
- phialae - Ancient Greek containers in the form of a shallow bowl without handles, often with a base whose center is pushed up into the body. It is used for drinking or pouring libations of wine or olive oil in ancient Greek ritual; the libations were poured over an altar to honor the gods or a burial site to satisfy the souls of the deceased. For similar ancient Roman containers, use "paterae (containers)."
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
- votive offerings - Objects or monuments donated by an individual for a public place or shrine, especially in gratitude for deliverance from distress. For those that are, or contain, images, use "ex-votos."
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Late-Corinthian Miniature Phiale (Libation Bowl)".View current selection of records as: