Tomb Figure of a ManEastern Han
9 - 57 CE
10 1/2 in. (26.67 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- ceramic ware - Visual works made of ceramic, especially art works in the form of sculptures, vessels, and other decorative and utilitarian objects made of bone china, porcelain, or stoneware. For the general classification of anything made of ceramic, use "ceramic (object genre)."
- Chinese - The cultures, styles, and periods characteristic of China. To specifically refer to the cultures of ancient Chine, use "Ancient Chinese."
- Eastern Han - Refers to the culture, style, and period associated with the rule of Wang Man in China, who usurped the Western Han throne in 9 CE, and ruled as sole emperor of the Xin dynasty until its capture in 23 CE. When the Liu family reasserted itself, Guangwudi ruled from 25-57 CE, making Luoyang the capital, about 100 kilometers east of Chang'an, about 15 kilometers from modern Luoyang in Henan Province. During this period, brown-and-green-glazed pottery production spread through the Yellow River Valley and into the Yangzi Valley. Pictoral bricks and engraved tomb slabs were mass-produced, typically with scenes of wine-making, harvesting, and banquets.
- figures - Representations of humans, animals, or mythical beasts, in any medium.
- men - Refers to male human beings from young adulthood through old age.
- tombs - Elaborations constructed over or around burial sites; for simple interments in the earth, use "graves."
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- An Appreciation of Chinese Arts in Bryn Mawr College's Collections Bryn Mawr College , Apr 23, 2002 – May 20, 2002
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Exhibition is "An Appreciation of Chinese Arts in Bryn Mawr College's Collections" and [Object]Object Type Sub 1 is "Sculptures".View current selection of records as: