|Showing 1 of 1||
Irish (1761 - 1797) Engraver
British (1749 - 1819) Painter
Puffin AukLate 18th century
7 7/8 in. x 5 5/8 in. (20 cm x 14.29 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Animalia - Kingdom containing multicellular organisms having cells bound by a plasma membrane and organized into tissue and specialized tissue systems that permit them to either move about in search of food or to draw food toward themselves. Unable to make their own food within themselves, as photosynthetic plants do, they rely on consuming preformed food. They possess a nervous system with sensory and motor nerves, enabling them to receive environmental stimuli and to respond with specialized movements.
- Aves - The class of vertebrate animals that are typically bipedal and warm-blooded, lay large-yolked hardshelled eggs, often arboreal, and possessing feathers, hollow bones, forelimbs adapted for flight (although some have lost the ability to fly) and hindlimbs for perching and locomotion, a four-chambered heart, keen vision, a horny beak without teeth, and a large muscular stomach. Birds arose from theropod dinosaurs, which were an order of carnivorous dinosaurs.
- engravings - Prints on paper incorporating impressions of a reverse design created on a printing plate, usually copper, into which the design has been incised (engraved) using burins or gravers. Historically, "engravings" has sometimes been incorrectly used to refer to all prints, regardless of the specific technique. For prints made from designs engraved on a flat wooden block, use "wood cuts"; for prints made from a plate that is etched rather than engraved, use "etchings."
- Irish - Refers to the culture of the island of Ireland, which is located west of England on the Irish Sea and is currently divided administratively between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. It often refers specifically to the Celtic culture of the island of Ireland.
- Plate Dimensions: 7 7/8 x 5 5/8 in. (20.003 x 14.288 cm)
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Puffin Auk".View current selection of records as: