American (1871 - 1951) Primary
Nanon Beats the Drum1904
6 in. x 4 1/4 in. (15.24 cm x 10.8 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 1962.126
Geography: North and Central America, United States
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Etchings
Collection: Harrington-Bishop Collection
Description: The image illustrates the moment when the central figure, Nanon, is about to make the proclamation. Her strong stance and determined face make her the center of the crowd’s attention. Instead of faithfully following Madame Pantalon’s satire, Sloan reads author De Kock against the grain to illuminate the real independence of this “Independent.”
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- crwths - Bowed or plucked box lyres of ancient Wales, surviving into the early 19th century.
- drummers - Those who play the drum.
- etchings - Prints made from an etched printing plate, which is a metal plate on which a design is made by coating the plate with an acid-resistant substance, creating a design in the coating, and then exposing the plate to acid, which etches the plate where the metal is exposed. For designs incised directly into a copper plate using a burin or graver, use "engravings (prints)."
- streetscapes - Use to designate the physical environment of the streets including such elements as structures, open spaces, and vegetation.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Illuminating John Sloan Bryn Mawr College , Apr 30, 2015 – Jun 1, 2015
- Plate Dimensions: 6 x 4 1/4 in. (15.24 x 10.795 cm)
Owner Name: Bryn Mawr College
Acquisition Method: Donation
Ownership Start Date: 10/18/84
Owner Name: Richard E. Bishop
Disposal Method: Donated
Ownership End Date: 10/18/84
Catalogue Raisonné ListThe following Catalogue Raisonné exist for this object:
- Peter Morse, John Sloan's Prints (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1969), 93. Figure Number: 89
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BSWCT" and [Object]Display Artist is "John Sloan".View current selection of records as: