American (1871 - 1951) Primary
Connoisseurs of Prints1905
5 in. x 7 in. (12.7 cm x 17.78 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 1962.141
Geography: North and Central America, United States
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Etchings
Collection: Harrington-Bishop Collection
Description: Sloan uses light in this scene to create a focal point near the top of the image. It is brightest above the heads of the two central figures, suggesting that Sloan is signalling the perceived knowledge of these two men to his viewer.
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- art galleries - Establishments in which works of art are displayed for sale.
- crwths - Bowed or plucked box lyres of ancient Wales, surviving into the early 19th century.
- etchings - Prints made from an etched printing plate, which is a metal plate on which a design is made by coating the plate with an acid-resistant substance, creating a design in the coating, and then exposing the plate to acid, which etches the plate where the metal is exposed. For designs incised directly into a copper plate using a burin or graver, use "engravings (prints)."
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Illuminating John Sloan Bryn Mawr College , Apr 30, 2015 – Jun 1, 2015
- Plate Dimensions: 5 x 7 in. (12.7 x 17.78 cm)
Owner Name: Bryn Mawr College
Acquisition Method: Donation
Ownership Start Date: 10/18/84
Owner Name: Richard E. Bishop
Disposal Method: Donated
Ownership End Date: 10/18/84
Catalogue Raisonné ListThe following Catalogue Raisonné exist for this object:
- Peter Morse, John Sloan's Prints (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1969), 135. Figure Number: 127
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BSWCT" and [Object]Display Artist is "John Sloan".View current selection of records as: