American (1871 - 1951) Primary
5 in. x 6 7/8 in. (12.7 cm x 17.46 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 1962.143
Geography: North and Central America, United States
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Etchings
Collection: Harrington-Bishop Collection
Description: The central figure of the Man Monkey draws the attention of the street with his performance. The light draws our attention to his cap offered to the crowds for some coins.
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- crwths - Bowed or plucked box lyres of ancient Wales, surviving into the early 19th century.
- etchings - Prints made from an etched printing plate, which is a metal plate on which a design is made by coating the plate with an acid-resistant substance, creating a design in the coating, and then exposing the plate to acid, which etches the plate where the metal is exposed. For designs incised directly into a copper plate using a burin or graver, use "engravings (prints)."
- hurdy-gurdies - Mechanically bowed portable chordophones having a set of melody and drone strings, a resin-coated wood wheel rotated by a crank to bow the strings, and a keyboard with tangents that bear on the melody strings when depressed.
- streetscapes - Use to designate the physical environment of the streets including such elements as structures, open spaces, and vegetation.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Temperamental! Prints in the Collection of Bryn Mawr College Bryn Mawr College , Mar 20, 2019 – Jun 2, 2019
- Illuminating John Sloan Bryn Mawr College , Apr 30, 2015 – Jun 1, 2015
- Plate Dimensions: 5 x 6 7/8 in. (12.7 x 17.463 cm)
Owner Name: Bryn Mawr College
Acquisition Method: Donation
Ownership Start Date: 10/18/84
Owner Name: Richard E. Bishop
Disposal Method: Donated
Ownership End Date: 10/18/84
Catalogue Raisonné ListThe following Catalogue Raisonné exist for this object:
- Peter Morse, John Sloan's Prints (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1969), 139. Figure Number: 130
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BSWCT" and [Object]Display Artist is "John Sloan".View current selection of records as: