Late Corinthian Aryballos (Oil Flask)
|Showing 1 of 1||
Late Corinthian Aryballos (Oil Flask)Archaic
ca. 8th Century BCE - ca. 5th Century BCE
2 3/4 x 2 9/16 x 2 9/16 in. (7 x 6.5 x 6.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: P.1854
Geography: Europe, Greece
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Aryballoi
Findspot: Corinth (per catalogue card)
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Archaic - Refers to the pottery style found in Persia around 6000 BCE. The style is characterized by fine, plain buff pottery tempered with straw that is sometimes decorated with simple red or orange painted designs.
- aryballoi - Relatively small ancient Greek vessels with a globular body, a short neck, a flat disk-shaped mouth with a small orifice, and a handle (or sometimes two) extending from the shoulder to the rim; used for holding oils, perfumes, and ointments. They are usually made of terracotta. Uses of the aryballoi included in funeral rituals and by athletes who wore them on their wrists, suspended by thongs or strings.
- Late Corinthian - Refers to the late phase of Corinthian pottery style, dating from around 575 BCE to around 425 BCE, after which Corinth was no longer a major exporter of pottery. It is characterized by continued mass production and repetitive designs with little detail, as well as innovative work created with apparent care. Painting on these vessels typically includes elaborate ornaments arranged in formal patterns, a lively animation of design, and animals with attenuated proportions. During this phase animal scenes were gradually replaced by more scenes of human figures.
- toilettes - Term applied to a variety of French dressing tables designed for women.
- vase paintings - Refers to two-dimensional decoration applied to pottery by using paint made of metallic oxides or other pigments held in suspension in slip or another medium. The term is particularly used to refer to Ancient Greek red- and black-figure works. See also "porcelain paintings (visual works)."
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Late Corinthian Aryballos (Oil Flask)".View current selection of records as: