Still Life with Green Bowl, Teapot, and Book
|Showing 1 of 1||
William A. Keely
(active ) Primary
Still Life with Green Bowl, Teapot, and BookJan. 1895
7.813 x 10.875 in. (19.844 x 27.623 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- books - Items comprising a collection of leaves of paper, parchment, wood, stiffened textile, ivory, metal tablets, or other flat material, that are blank, written on, or printed, and are strung or bound together in a volume.
- bowls - Rounded vessels that are generally wider than they are high, usually hemispherical or nearly so. A bowl may have a spreading base or foot ring and sometimes two handles or a cover. Distinguished from a cup, which is rather deep than wide.
- still lifes - Images in which the focus is a depiction of inanimate objects, as distinguished from art in which such objects are subsidiary elements in a composition.The term is generally applied to depictions of fruit, flowers, meat or dead game, vessels, eating utensils, and other objects, including skulls, candles, and hourglasses, typically arranged on a table. Such images were known since the time of ancient Greece and Rome; however, the subject was exploited by some 16th-century Italian painters, and was highly developed in 17th-century Dutch painting, where the qualities of form, color, texture, and composition were valued, and the images were intended to relay allegorical messages. The subject is generally seen in oil paintings, though it can also be found in mosaics, watercolors, prints, collages, and photographs. The term originally included paintings in which the focus was on living animals at rest, although such depictions would now be called "animal paintings."
- teapots - Covered vessels for brewing and serving tea, usually with one spout, which is often long and gracefully curved, and, on the opposite side of the vessel, one handle, and sometimes small feet. Distinguished from "teakettles" which usually have a short pouring spout, a bail handle, and a broad, flat bottom, and are used for heating water from which tea is made.
- Sheet Dimensions: 7.813 x 10.875 in. (19.844 x 27.623 cm)
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Still Life with Green Bowl, Teapot, and Book".View current selection of records as: