Chalcolithic Painted Ubaid Ware Rim Sherd
|Showing 1 of 1||
Chalcolithic Painted Ubaid Ware Rim SherdChalcolithic Ubaid
5800 BCE-4500 BCE
1 7/8 in. x 1 5/16 in. x 1/4 in. (4.71 cm x 3.35 cm x 0.57 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2009.14.101
Geography: Asia, Turkey, Tarsus
Classification: Unclassifiable Artifacts; Artifact Remnants; Sherds
Culture/Nationality: Prehistoric Anatolian
Collection: Tarsus Excavation
Findspot: Find Spot: Gözlükule, Tarsus, Turkey; Date: Meters: Unstratified
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Anatolian - Refers to the culture and styles that developed in antiquity in the geographical area of modern Turkey.
- Chalcolithic - Refers to the period and culture associated with the transitional phase between the Stone Age and the Bronze Age. It is characterized by the hammering, melting, and casting of copper for ornaments and tools, and is distinguished from Bronze Age technologies in that the copper was typically not or only seldomly combined with tin or other metal in an alloy, and stone tools were used at the same time as metal ones. Chalcolithic cultures developed at different times in different parts of the world, ranging from early sporadic use of copper around 7,000 BCE in the Near East to established use by around 1,900 BCE in Britain.
- rim sherds - Fragments of a ceramic or glass vessel from just below the rim.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
- Ubaid - Refers to a period and culture that developed in southern Mesopotamia during the 5th millennium BCE, named after the site of Tell Al-Ubaid. The period is divided into four phases based on a sequence of pottery styles, which consist generally of a black painted, greenish buff ceramic with geometric decoration.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
- Hetty Goldman, "Excavations at Gozlu Kule, Tarsus: Volume II, Plates," (1956): Figure Number: 223, Group 13.m, 341, Group 13.m.
- Hetty Goldman, "Excavations at Gozlu Kule, Tarsus: Volume II, Text," (1956): 89.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Chalcolithic Painted Ubaid Ware Rim Sherd".View current selection of records as: