Early Chalcolithic Multiple Brush Ware Rim Sherd
|Showing 1 of 1||
Early Chalcolithic Multiple Brush Ware Rim SherdEarly Chalcolithic
5800 BCE-4500 BCE
1 13/16 x 1 1/2 x 3/8 in. (4.6 x 3.8 x 1 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2009.14.130
Other Number(s): A 1184 (Site No.)
Geography: Asia, Turkey, Tarsus
Classification: Unclassifiable Artifacts; Artifact Remnants; Sherds
Culture/Nationality: Prehistoric Anatolian
Collection: Tarsus Excavation
Findspot: Find Spot: Gözlükule, Tarsus, Turkey / TAN, Room 93, in S. Wall; Date: December 4, 1938; Meters:
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Anatolian - Refers to the culture and styles that developed in antiquity in the geographical area of modern Turkey.
- Chalcolithic - Refers to the period and culture associated with the transitional phase between the Stone Age and the Bronze Age. It is characterized by the hammering, melting, and casting of copper for ornaments and tools, and is distinguished from Bronze Age technologies in that the copper was typically not or only seldomly combined with tin or other metal in an alloy, and stone tools were used at the same time as metal ones. Chalcolithic cultures developed at different times in different parts of the world, ranging from early sporadic use of copper around 7,000 BCE in the Near East to established use by around 1,900 BCE in Britain.
- Multiple-Brush Painted - Refers to a pottery style found in southeastern Anatolia from about 3200 to 2500 BCE. The pottery is wheelmade and well fired with an orange buff or light greenish buff body painted with red-orange to greenish black or black wavy lines.
- rim sherds - Fragments of a ceramic or glass vessel from just below the rim.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
- Hetty Goldman, "Excavations at Gozlu Kule, Tarsus: Volume II, Plates," (1956): Figure Number: 221, Group 11.e.
- Hetty Goldman, "Excavations at Gozlu Kule, Tarsus: Volume II, Text," (1956): 88.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Early Chalcolithic Multiple Brush Ware Rim Sherd".View current selection of records as: