Mycenaean Style Pottery Rim Sherd
|Showing 1 of 1||
Mycenaean Style Pottery Rim SherdLate Bronze Age IIB
2000 BCE - 1200 BCE
1 3/4 in. x 1 15/16 in. x 3/16 in. (4.5 cm x 4.99 cm x 0.45 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Anatolian - Refers to the culture and styles that developed in antiquity in the geographical area of modern Turkey.
- Late Bronze Age - Refers to the final stage of Bronze Age cultures, distinguished from the Early and Middle Bronze Age cultures by differences in metal assemblages and burial rites. It is characterized in part by very sophisticated and elaborate metalworking techniques and tool and weapon designs. It is characterized by the development of mass-produced objects, hollow objects, armor, and large objects, such as caldrons and shields.
- Mycenaean - Refers to the culture and style that flourished on the Greek mainland and various islands, excluding Crete, in the Late Bronze Age, from around 1600 BCE to around 1100 BCE. The style is known from pottery, sculpture, architecture, metal work, and wall paintings, and from its influence on many contemporary cultures. It is characterized by the combination of earlier Minoan and Middle Helladic motifs with new elements that were invented or are of unknown origin, including stylized plants and elaborate compositions that incorporate lively, naturalistic animals and marine life. In a narrow sense, the term is used to refer specifically to the art and culture of the ancient city of Mycenae. It is also used in reference to places where the Mycenaean language was spoken or the Linear B script has been found.
- rim sherds - Fragments of a ceramic or glass vessel from just below the rim.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- Hetty Goldman, "Excavations at Gozlu Kule, Tarsus: Volume II, Plates," (1956): Figure Number: Group 335, Figure 1343.
- Hetty Goldman, "Excavations at Gozlu Kule, Tarsus: Volume II, Text," (1956): 227.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Mycenaean Style Pottery Rim Sherd".View current selection of records as: