Chaff-Faced Painted Ware Bowl Sherd
|Showing 1 of 1||
Chaff-Faced Painted Ware Bowl SherdEarly Bronze Age II
2700 BCE - 2400 BCE
1 7/16 x 1 1/8 x 1/8 in. (3.7 x 2.9 x 0.4 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2009.14.401
Geography: Asia, Turkey, Tarsus
Classification: Unclassifiable Artifacts; Artifact Remnants; Sherds
Culture/Nationality: Prehistoric Anatolian
Collection: Tarsus Excavation
Findspot: Find Spot: Gözlükule, Tarsus, Turkey / Room 112; Date: Meters:
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Anatolian - Refers to the culture and styles that developed in antiquity in the geographical area of modern Turkey.
- bowls - Rounded, cuplike, hollow parts of objects, such as the body of a stemmed vessel or the part of a pipe in which tobacco is burned.
- bowls - Rounded vessels that are generally wider than they are high, usually hemispherical or nearly so. A bowl may have a spreading base or foot ring and sometimes two handles or a cover. Distinguished from a cup, which is rather deep than wide.
- Early Bronze Age - Refers to the earliest phase of Bronze Age cultures, which developed differently in different regions, either from Chalcolithic or Neolithic technologies. It differs from the Middle and Late Bronze Age cultures primarily in metal assemblages and burial rites. It is characterized in part by the earliest experimentation with copper alloys to produce bronze, as well as the improvement of stone tools, and various other local cultural developments. Some scholars classify the Chalcolithic as the earliest phase of the Bronze Age.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
- vessels - Containers designed to serve as receptacles for a liquid or other substance, usually those of circular section and made of some durable material; especially containers of this nature in domestic use, employed in connection with the preparation or serving of food or drink, and usually of a size suitable for carrying by hand.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
- Hetty Goldman, "Excavations at Gozlu Kule, Tarsus: Volume II, Plates," (1956): Figure Number: Group 244, Figure 153.
- Hetty Goldman, "Excavations at Gozlu Kule, Tarsus: Volume II, Text," (1956): 114.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Chaff-Faced Painted Ware Bowl Sherd".View current selection of records as: