Young Woman Seated on the Balcony of Kiyomizu Temple
|Showing 1 of 1||
Japanese (ca. 1724 - 1770) Primary
Young Woman Seated on the Balcony of Kiyomizu TempleMid-18th century - late 18th century
10.984 x 7.874 in. (27.9 x 20 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2010.7.9
Geography: Asia, Japan
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Woodcuts
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Asian - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Asia, which is in the eastern hemisphere, and is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Arctic Ocean, and is generally considered to be delimited on the west by the Ural Mountains. It also refers to the numerous islands off the coast of Asia.
- bijinga - Paintings or prints that depict beautiful women. This term, which literally means "pictures of beautiful women," was most likely coined in the Edo period (1615-1868) or the Meiji period (1868-1912). Before this period, these pictures may have been called "onna-e" or "bijin-e".
- girls - Refers to female human beings from birth through adolescence.
- Japanese - Nationality, periods, cultures, and styles found in Japan, either in historical times or in the present.
- railings - Parapets or balustrades of a lightweight, partly open, metal or wood construction.
- Ukiyo-e - Distinctive genre in painting and other media, but most prominently in woodblock printing. It arose in the Edo period (1600-1868) and built up a broad popular market among the middle classes. Subject matter typically focused on brothel districts and kabuki theatres, with formats ranging from single sheet prints to book illustrations. Generally, the style is characterized by a mixture of the realistic narrative of the Kamakura period and the mature decorative style of the Momoyama and Edo periods. Distinctive styles and specialties in subject matter were developed by different schools throughout the period.
- woodcuts - Prints made using the process of woodcut, which is a relief process in which the design is cut into and printed from the plank side of a wood block; distinct from "wood engraving (process)," which is a relief process using the grain end of a wood block.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Young Woman Seated on the Balcony of Kiyomizu Temple".View current selection of records as: