Painted Ware Pottery Sherd
|Showing 1 of 1||
Painted Ware Pottery SherdMiddle Bronze Age
2200 BCE - 2000 BCE
2 1/2 x 3 3/16 x 1 1/8 in. (6.4 x 8.1 x 2.9 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2009.14.731
Geography: Asia, Turkey, Tarsus
Classification: Unclassifiable Artifacts; Artifact Remnants; Sherds
Culture/Nationality: Prehistoric Anatolian
Collection: Tarsus Excavation
Findspot: Find Spot: Gözlükule, Tarsus, Turkey; Date: Meters: Unstratified
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Anatolian - Refers to the culture and styles that developed in antiquity in the geographical area of modern Turkey.
- Early Bronze Age - Refers to the earliest phase of Bronze Age cultures, which developed differently in different regions, either from Chalcolithic or Neolithic technologies. It differs from the Middle and Late Bronze Age cultures primarily in metal assemblages and burial rites. It is characterized in part by the earliest experimentation with copper alloys to produce bronze, as well as the improvement of stone tools, and various other local cultural developments. Some scholars classify the Chalcolithic as the earliest phase of the Bronze Age.
- Middle Bronze Age - Refers to a phase of the Bronze Age distinguished from the Early and Late Bronze Age cultures by differences in metal assemblages and burial rites. It is characterized in part by metalworking techniques and tool and weapon designs of increasing sophistication, including the utilization of valve molds, cire perdue, sheet work, structural ribs, rivets, and pommels on the end of the hilts of swords.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
- Hetty Goldman, "Excavations at Gozlu Kule, Tarsus: Volume II, Plates," (1956): Figure Number: Group 291, Figure 909a.
- Hetty Goldman, "Excavations at Gozlu Kule, Tarsus: Volume II, Text," (1956): 179.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Painted Ware Pottery Sherd".View current selection of records as: