Iron Age Imported Cypriote Plain White Kitchen Ware Body and Base Sherd of MortarIron Age
11th century BCE - 7th century BCE
2 1/8 x 3 7/16 x 2 5/8 in. (5.4 x 8.7 x 6.7 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- bases - Elements at the bottoms of structures or objects upon which the upper parts rest or are supported; for large objects, bases are often relatively massive. For terminal elements upon which objects rest and that are small in relation to the body of the object, use "feet."
- Cypriote - Refers to the culture of the island of Cyprus, particularly during the Bronze Age from about 2300 to 1050 BCE.
- Early Iron Age - Refers to the earliest phase of the Iron Age, when the distinct functional properties of iron were first exploited, including the use of forging, and it began to supplant bronze in the production of tools and weapons.
- Iron Age - Refers to the period and culture associated with the third age in the Three Age system developed by Christian Jürgensen Thomsen in 1836. Iron Age culture typically developed from the Bronze Age at the point when the qualities of iron were exploited, particularly through carburization, in the manufacture of tools, weapons, and implements. It developed at different times in various parts of the world, first appearing in the Middle East and southeastern Europe around 1,200 BCE, and in China around 600 BCE. In the Americas, it did not develop from the Bronze Age but was introduced to Stone Age cultures by European explorers.
- mortars - Receptacles of a hard material, such as stone, brass, wood, or glass, that have a cup-shaped cavity in which materials are pounded or ground with a pestle. Often used to grind ingredients used in a pharmacy, painting, or cookery.
- sherds - Limited to fragments of pottery or glass.
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- Hetty Goldman, "Excavations at Gozlu Kule, Tarsus: Volume III, Plates," (1963): Group 119 , Figure Number: 299 .
- Hetty Goldman, "Excavations at Gozlu Kule, Tarsus: Volume III, Text," (1963): 187.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Pottery from Tarsus Excavations" and [Object]Period/Era/Dynasty is "Iron Age".View current selection of records as: