Middle Corinthian Ring Aryballos (Oil Flask)
|Showing 1 of 1||
Middle Corinthian Ring Aryballos (Oil Flask)Archaic
590 BCE - 570 BCE
2 7/8 in. x 2 3/8 in. (diameter) x 1 5/16 in. (7.3 cm x 6.03 cm x 3.33 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2011.17.8
Geography: Europe, Greece, Corinth
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Vessels; Aryballoi
Collection: Collection of Doreen Canaday Spitzer
This object has the following keywords:
- Animalia - Kingdom containing multicellular organisms having cells bound by a plasma membrane and organized into tissue and specialized tissue systems that permit them to either move about in search of food or to draw food toward themselves. Unable to make their own food within themselves, as photosynthetic plants do, they rely on consuming preformed food. They possess a nervous system with sensory and motor nerves, enabling them to receive environmental stimuli and to respond with specialized movements.
- aryballoi - Relatively small ancient Greek vessels with a globular body, a short neck, a flat disk-shaped mouth with a small orifice, and a handle (or sometimes two) extending from the shoulder to the rim; used for holding oils, perfumes, and ointments. They are usually made of terracotta. Uses of the aryballoi included in funeral rituals and by athletes who wore them on their wrists, suspended by thongs or strings.
- Middle Corinthian - Refers to an intermediate phase of Corinthian pottery style, dating from around 600 BCE to around 575 BCE. It is characterized by apparent mass production of pots, using painted designs with a smaller repertory of clumsier animals than in the preceding phase, new animal poses, less crowded designs between figures, and the use of dots to echo the contours of the animals.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- Ancient Life on Greek Pottery Bryn Mawr College , Mar 30, 2015 – Jun 1, 2015
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- C. W. Neeft, "The Dolphin Painter and his Workshop." BABesch 52-53 (1977-1978):
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Middle Corinthian Ring Aryballos (Oil Flask)".View current selection of records as: