Sofa with Stenciled Design
|Showing 1 of 1||
Lockwood de Forest
American (1850 - 1932) Primary
Sofa with Stenciled Designca. 1894
42 in. x 73 1/4 in. x 30 3/4 in. (106.68 cm x 186.06 cm x 78.11 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- art furniture - Term applied in the 1860s to furniture produced by firms which employed leading designers and architects. Designs tended toward simple forms with hand-carved and painted decoration.
- paint - Any dispersion of pigment in a liquid binder. Paint is applied with a brush, roller, sprayer, or by dipping and dries to form a decorative or protective film.
- sofas - Long, upholstered seating objects with a back and two ends, and primarily used for sitting rather than reclining. Distinct from "couches (reclining furniture)" which have a back support and one end and are primarily used for reclining rather than sitting. The term "sofa" was first used in France at the end of the 17th century as an alternative for canapé. The terms sofa and settee are virtually interchangeable in 20th-century usage but there is a distinction between the two; a sofa is generally completely upholstered.
- stenciling - Method of creating multiple copies of a design by cutting it out of a thin yet durable sheet, such as thin brass or plastic, and dabbing, pouncing, spraying, or rubbing a color substance through the openings. For printing from stencils, use "stencil printing."
- upholstery - Refers to the fixed soft coverings for furniture, especially seating and reclining furniture. Originally referred to all the textile components of a room supplied by upholsterers, including wall hangings, bed hangings, window curtains, and table coverings.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
Roberta A. Mayer,
Lockwood De Forest
University of Delaware Press.
Newark, NJ, 2008
Page Number: 174, Figure Number: 156
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Sofa with Stenciled Design".View current selection of records as: