Pierced Decorative Metalwork from the Deanery
|Showing 1 of 1||
Lockwood de Forest
American (1850 - 1932) Primary
Ahmedabad Wood Carving Company
Pierced Decorative Metalwork from the Deaneryca. 1908
7 3/4 in. x 13 in. (19.69 cm x 33.02 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
These pieces of decorative metalwork, in rectangular, paisley, and “peacock” designs, were installed between the exposed beams of the ceiling in M. Carey Thomas’s sitting room, known as the Dorothy Vernon Room. The room was modeled after one in Haddon Hall, Derbyshire, England, which Thomas had visited numerous times while she was a student, traveling in Europe. De Forest designed the room as a mixture of English and East Indian design, although Japanese teakwood tables and Tiffany lamps were used in the room as well. After the Deanery was razed in 1968, a new Dorothy Vernon Room was installed in Haffner Hall, about a quarter size of the original room, where many of the stencils, furniture, and other furnishings were re-located.
De Forest began producing brass stencils like these in 1881, using a pattern book supplied by the director of his Ahmedabad workshop, Mr. Muggenbhai Hutheesing. The workshop produced close to 200 different filigree designs, continuing after 1889 under the direction of Hutheesing’s two sons.
- "All-Over" Design: Lockwood de Forest between Ahmedabad and Bryn Mawr Bryn Mawr College , Oct 24, 2019 – Mar 1, 2020
- The Deanery Remembered Bryn Mawr College , May 1, 1985 – May 29, 1985
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Pierced Decorative Metalwork from the Deanery".View current selection of records as: