|Showing 1 of 1||
Female Figurineca. 1969
State: Made for the tourist market in a traditional style
11 in. x 4 3/4 in. x 3 1/2 in. (27.94 cm x 12.07 cm x 8.89 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2013.23.3
Geography: Africa, Guinea-Bissau
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Sculptures
Culture/Nationality: Bijogo, Bissau-Guinean, West African, African
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- figurative art - Art that portrays forms recognizably derived from objective sources, in however altered or distorted form. Includes but not limited to representations of the human figure.
- Guinea-Bissauan - Style and culture of the people from Guinea-Bissau.
- tourism - The industry providing facilities and services to people traveling for recreation.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- A Curious Group; a cabinet of curiosities Bryn Mawr College , Apr 4, 2014 – Jun 30, 2014
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
and Nathanael Roesch.
A Curious Group.
Bryn Mawr College.
Bryn Mawr, PA, April 4–June 1, 2014
Figure Number: Wood 12
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- Museu da Guiné, “Regional Art Exhibition in Guinea.” Filmed April 4, 1964 at National Ethnographic Museum, Bissau, Guinea-Bissau. Video, 02:46. (https://arquivos.rtp.pt/conteudos/exposicao-de-arte-regional-na-guine/?fbclid=IwAR3bQTGz5pFPi1ydeIk3f4JQQCKktxj81J_ykrMT7SHwxvEnvglu0sqF37I, ),
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Female Figurine".View current selection of records as: