Sande Society Gonde Helmet Mask
|Showing 1 of 1||
Mende (active ) Primary
Sande Society Gonde Helmet MaskMid 20th century
Carved wood, dyed raffia, kaolin
14.764 x 8.661 x 11.024 in. (37.5 x 22 x 28 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.14
Geography: Africa, Sierra Leone
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Masks
Culture/Nationality: Mende, Sande, Sierra Leonean, West African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
African*, amulets*, braids*, carvings*, ceremonial masks*, helmet masks*, horns*, kaolin*, Mende, ritual objects*, secret societies*, Sierra Leonean*, West African*, women*, wood*
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- amulets - Small objects worn as protecting charms, as to ward off evil, harm, or illness, or to bring good fortune. For objects specifically cut with astrological or magical symbols, intended to protect the bearer, but not necessarily worn, use "talismans."
- braids - Patterns created by intertwining three or more strands of material into a plait. This is often achieved with human hair or used as the basis of a hairstyle.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- ceremonial masks - Refers to masks created for or used in ceremonies or rituals.
- helmet masks - Masks that enclose the head entirely or in part, especially those worn during African ceremonies and masquerades.
- horns - The non-deciduous excrescences, often curved and pointed, consisting of an epidermal sheath growing about a bony core on the head of certain mammals such as cattle, sheep, goats, and antelopes, or formed from matted hair on the rhinoceros. Horns serve as displays and as weapons of offence or defense.
- kaolin - Hydrated aluminum silicate clay. It is used for making porcelain for china and chemical porcelain for valves, tubes, and fittings, as a pigment and filler in paint and plastic, an abrasive powder, and in paper to yield a glossy surface.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- secret societies - Any of various societies, the members of which are sworn to keep the rules, activities, and purposes secret from nonmembers.
- Sierra Leonean - Style and culture of the nation of Sierra Leone.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- women - Refers to female human beings from young adulthood through old age.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0177732.
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Daniel Mato and Charles Miller III. Sande: Masks and Statues from Liberia and Sierra-Leone (Amsterdam, Netherlands: Gallery Balolu, 1990), 42.
- Ruth B. Phillips, Representing Woman: Sande Masquerades of the Mende of Sierra Leone (Los Angeles, CA: Fowler Museum of Cultural History, 1995), 90-92.
- Frederick Lamp, "Cosmos, Cosmetics, and the Spirit of Bondo." African Arts 18, no. 3 (May 1985): 28-43, 98-99.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Sande Society Gonde Helmet Mask".View current selection of records as: