Sande Society Sowei Helmet Mask
|Showing 1 of 1||
unknown Gola (West Atlantic)
Sande Society Sowei Helmet MaskEarly 20th century
14.37 x 9.449 x 9.252 in. (36.5 x 24 x 23.5 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- ceremonial masks - Refers to masks created for or used in ceremonies or rituals.
- helmet masks - Masks that enclose the head entirely or in part, especially those worn during African ceremonies and masquerades.
- horns - The non-deciduous excrescences, often curved and pointed, consisting of an epidermal sheath growing about a bony core on the head of certain mammals such as cattle, sheep, goats, and antelopes, or formed from matted hair on the rhinoceros. Horns serve as displays and as weapons of offence or defense.
- initiations - Ceremonies formally admitting someone into a community, organization, or other group, or investing them with a particular role or status.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- scarifications - Refers to permanent marks, such as symbols, patterns, or other designs, made on human skin by scarring, done for social or cultural reasons or for personal decoration.
- secret societies - Any of various societies, the members of which are sworn to keep the rules, activities, and purposes secret from nonmembers.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- women - Refers to female human beings from young adulthood through old age.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- On Selecting: Profiles of Alumnae Donors to the African Art & Artifacts Collection , Jan 25, 2017 – Sep 2, 2017
Owner Name: Jane Martin, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Ownership Start Date: November, 1985
Ownership End Date: May 1, 2016
Owner Name: Ahmadu Sillah
Ownership End Date: November 1985
Remarks: Likely purchased in Monrovia, Liberia
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0177802.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "The Met Online Collections Database." The Met Collection. (Accessed April 9, 2020): The Metropolitan Museum of Art, https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/. Accession No.: 1992.62.
- "Collections Database for the Royal Museum of Central Africa (Turveren, Belgium)." (Accessed August 14, 2020): Africa Museum, https://www.africamuseum.be/en/research/collections_libraries/human_sciences/collections. Accession No.: 1973.75.1.
- "Glascow Museums Collections Navigator." (Accessed March 25, 2022): Glascow Museums, http://collections.glasgowmuseums.com/mwebcgi/mweb?request=home. Accession No.: A.1985.13.f.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Lester P. Monts, "Dance in the Vai Sande Society." African Arts 17, no. 4 (August 1984): 53-59, 94-95.
- Frederick Lamp, "Cosmos, Cosmetics, and the Spirit of Bondo." African Arts 18, no. 3 (May 1985): 28-43, 98-99.
- Ruth B. Phillips, Representing Woman: Sande Masquerades of the Mende of Sierra Leone (Los Angeles, CA: Fowler Museum of Cultural History, 1995), 131. Figure Number: 6.27ab
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Sande Society Sowei Helmet Mask".View current selection of records as: