- Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- Generally, textile that is woven, felted, knit, pounded, or otherwise made into a flat piece. For textile in the form of continuous strands made from filaments of fiber by reeling, spinning, twisting, or throwing, see "yarn."
- Refers to works characterized by a pattern or design executed in stitches using thread or fine wire. The designs are typically executed on textiles, but leather, paper, or another media may also be used; the designs may be intended to be framed, or to decorate apparel, bed linens, furniture coverings, pillows, altar cloths, ceremonial hangings, or other items.
- Style and culture of Mali in West Africa, either the ancient empire of the 13th and 14th centuries or of the modern republic founded in 1960.
- Generally, the process of interlacing strands or strips of various materials, such as cane, textile, or twigs, to make materials or objects such as wicker, cloth, baskets, or wreaths. Specifically used for the process of making textile on a loom or other weaving device by interlacing warp and weft in a particular order.
- Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
Click an image to view a larger version
Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolio
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
If you would like to cite this object in a Wikipedia article please use the following template:
<ref name=BMC>cite web |url=http://triarte.brynmawr.edu/objects-1/info/195397 |title=Malian Strip Woven Cloth with Supplementary Weft and Embroidery |author=Bryn Mawr College Library Special Collections |accessdate=12/2/2021 |publisher=Bryn Mawr College</ref>
Showing 85 of 150
Your current search criteria is: Portfolio is "Jane Martin Collection of African Art & Cultural Objects".