|Showing 1 of 1||
Akan Comb20th century
7.126 x 2.559 x 0.394 in. (18.1 x 6.5 x 1 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.70
Geography: Africa, Ghana
Classification: Personal Objects; Hair Care Objects; Comb, Hair
Culture/Nationality: Akan, Ghanaian, West African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carving - The act of shaping, marking, or decorating wood, stone, or another material by cutting or incising, typically using tools such as chisels and other blades. It refers to this process as it is applied to small-scale objects or to objects that are not considered art. "Carving" may also be considered a sculpture technique that is employed in the creation of art.
- combs - Implements having two or more teeth and an ornamental portion intended to be seen when the teeth are inserted in the hair. For similar implements that are intended primarily for grooming rather than display, use "combs (grooming tools)."
- Ghanaian - Style and culture of the people of the nation of Ghana.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Janet Adwoa Antiri, "Akan Combs." African Arts 8, no. 1 (Autumn 1974): 32-35.
- Doran H. Ross, "African Art at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston." African Arts 36, no. 3 (Autumn 2003): 40-41, Figure Number: 39.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Akan Comb".View current selection of records as: