Gold Weight of an AsipimEarly 20th century - Mid 20th century
2.36 x 0.67 x 1.54 in. (5.994 x 1.702 x 3.912 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.73
Geography: Africa, Ghana
Classification: Tools and Equipment; Weights & Measures
Culture/Nationality: Akan, Ghanaian, West African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Asante - The culture and style of people of south-central Ghana and adjacent areas of Togo and Côte d'Ivoire.
- casting - The act or process of making casts or of shaping in a mold; usually refers to pouring liquid material into a mold, as distinguished from pressing a material into a mold, for which prefer "molding."
- castings - Use in industrial and building trade contexts for objects made by casting. For sculptural works made by casting, use "casts."
- chairs - Seats for one person with a back or a back and arms. Distinct from "stools" which have no back.
- copper alloy - Alloy in which copper is the principle element.
- metal - Any of a large group of substances that typically show a characteristic luster, are good conductors of electricity and heat, are opaque, can be fused, and are usually malleable or ductile.
- weights - Objects of known mass for use on scales during weighing.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Exhibition ListThis object was included in the following exhibitions:
- On Selecting: Profiles of Alumnae Donors to the African Art & Artifacts Collection , Jan 25, 2017 – Sep 2, 2017
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- Tom Phillips, ed. Africa: The Art of a Continent (Munich; London; New York: Prestel Verlag and Royal Academy of Arts, 1999), 445. Figure Number: ix-xiv
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0169513.
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Timothy F. Garrard, Akan Weights and the Gold Trade (London, England: Longman, 1980), 292-296, 302-313.
- Tom Phillips, ed. Africa: The Art of a Continent (Munich; London; New York: Prestel Verlag and Royal Academy of Arts, 1999), 442-446.
- Suzanne Preston Blier, The Royal Arts of Africa: The Majesty of Form (London, England: Harry N. Abrams Inc., 1998), 146-152.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BAWSU" and [Object]Country of Creation is "Ghana" and [Object]Century is "20th century".View current selection of records as: