Gold Weight of a Chief's Stool
|Showing 1 of 1||
Gold Weight of a Chief's StoolEarly 20th century - Mid 20th century
0.98 x 0.67 x 1.42 in. (2.489 x 1.702 x 3.607 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.74
Geography: Africa, Ghana
Classification: Tools and Equipment; Weights & Measures
Culture/Nationality: Akan, Ghanaian, West African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- Asante - The culture and style of people of south-central Ghana and adjacent areas of Togo and Côte d'Ivoire.
- casting - The act or process of making casts or of shaping in a mold; usually refers to pouring liquid material into a mold, as distinguished from pressing a material into a mold, for which prefer "molding."
- castings - Use in industrial and building trade contexts for objects made by casting. For sculptural works made by casting, use "casts."
- copper alloy - Alloy in which copper is the principle element.
- metal - Any of a large group of substances that typically show a characteristic luster, are good conductors of electricity and heat, are opaque, can be fused, and are usually malleable or ductile.
- stools - A seat for one person, often without a back. They were the most common type of seat furniture until the 19th century. Distinct from "benches" in that they seat only one person; usually distinguished from "chairs" in that they have no back; however, tall seating pieces at a bar or counter are called stools though they sometimes have backs. Generally made in two types; one supported on four straight legs and the other with legs arranged crosswise.
- weights - Objects of known mass for use on scales during weighing.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- On Selecting: Profiles of Alumnae Donors to the African Art & Artifacts Collection , Jan 25, 2017 – Sep 2, 2017
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- Tom Phillips, ed. Africa: The Art of a Continent (Munich; London; New York: Prestel Verlag and Royal Academy of Arts, 1999), 445. Figure Number: ix-xiv
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Timothy F. Garrard, Akan Weights and the Gold Trade (London, England: Longman, 1980), 292-296, 302-313.
- Tom Phillips, ed. Africa: The Art of a Continent (Munich; London; New York: Prestel Verlag and Royal Academy of Arts, 1999), 442-446.
- Suzanne Preston Blier, The Royal Arts of Africa: The Majesty of Form (London, England: Harry N. Abrams Inc., 1998), 146-152.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Gold Weight of a Chief's Stool".View current selection of records as: