Kuba Basket with Lid
|Showing 1 of 1||
unknown Kuba (Congolese)
Kuba Basket with LidLate 19th century - Mid 20th century
3.74 x 5 x 5 in. (9.5 x 12.7 x 12.7 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.80
Geography: Africa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Southeastern Democratic Republic of the Congo
Classification: Containers and Vessels; Baskets
Culture/Nationality: Kuba, Congolese, Central African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- baskets - Containers made of twigs, rushes, thin strips of wood, or other flexible material woven together.
- Central African - Nationality, styles, and culture of the people of the nation of the République centrafricaine.
- Congolese - Nationality, styles, and cultures of the Republic of the Congo.
- containers - Receptacles or formed or flexible coverings designed to hold, store, or ship objects or substances.
- Kuba - Describes works created by the African people of the same name living in the central Democratic Republic of Congo.
- weaving - Generally, the process of interlacing strands or strips of various materials, such as cane, textile, or twigs, to make materials or objects such as wicker, cloth, baskets, or wreaths. Specifically used for the process of making textile on a loom or other weaving device by interlacing warp and weft in a particular order.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- Marc Ginzberg, African Forms: The Traditional Design and Function of Objects (London, England: Thames & Hudson, 2000), 108.
- "Penn Museum Online Collections." Penn Museum Online Collections. (Accessed April 4, 2020): Penn Museum, https://www.penn.museum/collections/index.php. Accession No.: 2006-15-50.
- "Africa Direct: African Art and Beads Website." (Accessed May 4, 2020): https://www.africadirect.com/. https://www.africadirect.com/baskets/kuba-baskets/kuba-basket-extraordinary-shape-congo-african-art.html?SID=g2g9nblckj38dnelec4n9dpa75.
- "The Met Online Collections Database." The Met Collection. (Accessed April 9, 2020): The Metropolitan Museum of Art, https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/. Accession No.: 1979.206.214a, b.
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Marc Ginzberg, African Forms: The Traditional Design and Function of Objects (London, England: Thames & Hudson, 2000), 28, 108.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Kuba Basket with Lid".View current selection of records as: