unknown Gola (West Atlantic)
Spoon with Sheep Head19th century - 20th century
3.31 x 3.31 x 18.7 in. (8.407 x 8.407 x 47.498 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.92
Geography: Africa, Liberia or Sierra Leone
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Ritual Objects
Culture/Nationality: Gola, Sierra Leonean or Liberian, West African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- Liberian - Style and culture of the nation of Liberia, a West African state founded in 1822.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- Sierra Leonean - Style and culture of the nation of Sierra Leone.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Owner Name: Jane Martin, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Ownership Start Date: September 2, 1988
Ownership End Date: May 1, 2016
Owner Name: Ahmadou Sillah
Ownership End Date: September 2, 1988
Remarks: Likely purchased in Monrovia, Liberia
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0177820.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "Rand African Art." (Accessed May 9, 2020): Randafricanart.com. http://www.randafricanart.com/Dan_Wunkirmian_spoon_1.html.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BAUEW".View current selection of records as: