|Showing 1 of 1||
Kissi Pennies19th century - 20th century
13 x 1.18 x 0.125 in. (33.02 x 2.997 x 0.318 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.111.a-w
Geography: Africa, Possibly Guinea or Liberia or Sierra Leone
Classification: Exchange Media; Currency
Culture/Nationality: Loma, Kissi, West African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- currencies - Systems of money, usually those in general use in a particular country. For the paper bills, coins, or other monetary items as objects, use "money(objects)."
- iron - Pure metallic element having symbol Fe and atomic number 26; metallic iron is silvery in color, lustrous, soft, ductile, malleable, and slightly magnetic; it rusts when exposed to moist air. It is rarely found as a native metal (telluric iron) except in meteorites (meteoric iron). Iron is most often found throughout the world as iron oxides (hematite, magnetite, limonite, and siderite) mixed with other ores.
- Kissi pennies - Money in the form of thin, twisted iron rods with flat ends, made and used in West Africa, particularly in Sierra Leone, Liberia, and Guinea.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "National Museum of African Art Online Database." (Accessed April 12, 2020): Smithsonian, https://africa.si.edu/collections/collections. Accession No.: 67-8-1.
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "Smithsonian National Museum of African Art Online Collections Database." Smithsonian Museum of African Art. (Accessed April 7, 2020): Smithsonian National Museum of African Art, https://africa.si.edu/collections/. Accession No.: 67-8-1.
- "Liberia: Past & Present of Africa's Oldest Republic." (Accessed April 13, 2020): http://www.liberiapastandpresent.org/. http://www.liberiapastandpresent.org/kissi.htm.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Kissi Pennies".View current selection of records as: