Spindle Whorl Bead
|Showing 1 of 1||
Spindle Whorl Bead19th century - 20th century
1 x 1.125 x 1.125 in. (2.54 x 2.858 x 2.858 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.115
Geography: Africa, Mali
Culture/Nationality: Mali, West African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- beads - Refers to small objects, of any shape or material, pierced so that they may be strung or hung or attached, as by sewing.
- clay - Naturally occurring sediments that are produced by chemical actions resulting during the weathering of rocks. Clays are composed of hydrated aluminum silicates, such as Kaolinite, Illite, Palygorskite, Attapulgite, Bentonite, and Montmorillonite. Small amounts of other minerals can change the color (white, yellow, brown or red) and texture of the clays. Clays may include all earths that form a paste with water and harden when heated.
- Malian - Style and culture of Mali in West Africa, either the ancient empire of the 13th and 14th centuries or of the modern republic founded in 1960.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "Kazaart Vintage African Art." (Accessed May 20, 2020): Kazaart.com. https://kazaart.com/product/33-ancient-djenne-terracotta-clay-spindle-whorl-beads-mali/.
- "Alaaddins Magic Lamp." (Accessed May 20, 2020): https://alaaddinsmagiclamp.tumblr.com/. https://alaaddinsmagiclamp.tumblr.com/post/68686444299/african-beads-clay-spindle-whorls-mali-a.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Trade Beads." (Accessed May 20, 2020): Africantradebeads.com. http://www.africantradebeads.com/Product_Index/African_Made/Spindle_Whorls/spindle_whorls.html.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Spindle Whorl Bead".View current selection of records as: