Manilly or Nitien (Currency or Amulet)Late19th century - Early 20th century
0.375 x 1.93 x 1.93 in. (0.953 x 4.902 x 4.902 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.122
Geography: Africa, Liberia, Coastal South Eastern Liberia
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Ritual Objects
Culture/Nationality: Kru, Liberian, West African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- copper alloy - Alloy in which copper is the principle element.
- currencies - Systems of money, usually those in general use in a particular country. For the paper bills, coins, or other monetary items as objects, use "money(objects)."
- Liberian - Style and culture of the nation of Liberia, a West African state founded in 1822.
- metal - Any of a large group of substances that typically show a characteristic luster, are good conductors of electricity and heat, are opaque, can be fused, and are usually malleable or ductile.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "Liberia: Past & Present of Africa's Oldest Republic." (Accessed April 13, 2020): http://www.liberiapastandpresent.org/. http://www.liberiapastandpresent.org/culture2.htm.
- "The Brooklyn Museum Online Collection." The Brooklyn Museum Online Collections Database. (Accessed April 9, 2020): Brooklyn Museum, https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/collections. Accession No.: 2004.52.14.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Bohumil Holas, Arts de la Côte d'Ivoire; les trésors du Musée d'Abidjan (Vevey, Switzerland: Musée des Beaux-arts, 1969), 116-117.
- Scott Shepperd, "Nitien: The Curious Case of Kru Money." Liberian Studies Journal 31, no. 2 (2006): 50-85.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BAXHC".View current selection of records as: