Manilly or Nitien (Currency or Amulet)
|Showing 1 of 1||
Manilly or Nitien (Currency or Amulet)Late19th century - Early 20th century
2.05 x 9.06 x 9.06 in. (5.207 x 23.012 x 23.012 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.132
Geography: Africa, Liberia, Coastal South Eastern Liberia
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Ritual Objects
Culture/Nationality: Kru, Liberian, West African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- casting - The act or process of making casts or of shaping in a mold; usually refers to pouring liquid material into a mold, as distinguished from pressing a material into a mold, for which prefer "molding."
- Liberian - Style and culture of the nation of Liberia, a West African state founded in 1822.
- metal - Any of a large group of substances that typically show a characteristic luster, are good conductors of electricity and heat, are opaque, can be fused, and are usually malleable or ductile.
- money - Objects that serve as media of exchange and are in general circulation, and by common agreement used as payment for goods and services and for the settlement of debts.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "Liberia: Past & Present of Africa's Oldest Republic." (Accessed April 13, 2020): http://www.liberiapastandpresent.org/. http://www.liberiapastandpresent.org/culture2.htm.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0063518.
- "African Pre-Coin Money Metal Sculpture: The John B. Henry Collection Catalogue by Type and Style." (Accessed April 13, 2020): http://www.henrycollection.org/#Manillas. #103.
- "The Brooklyn Museum Online Collection." The Brooklyn Museum Online Collections Database. (Accessed April 9, 2020): Brooklyn Museum, https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/opencollection/collections. Accession No.: 2004.52.14.
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- William C. Siegmann, Rock of the Ancestors: namoa koni (Suakoko, Liberia: Cuttington University College, 1977), 82.
- Scott Shepperd, "Nitien: The Curious Case of Kru Money." Liberian Studies Journal 31, no. 2 (2006): 50-85.
- "Liberian Studies Journal." 3, no. 1 (1970-1971):
- Scott Sheppard, "Afrika-Studiecentrum Abstracts." 38, no. 4 (2008): 471.
- Bohumil Holas, Arts de la Côte d'Ivoire; les trésors du Musée d'Abidjan (Vevey, Switzerland: Musée des Beaux-arts, 1969), 116-117.
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Manilly or Nitien (Currency or Amulet)".View current selection of records as: