Mano Janus-faced Ke-Die (Stela)
|Showing 1 of 1||
Mano Janus-faced Ke-Die (Stela)19th century - 20th century
7.32 x 1.22 x 1.22 in. (18.593 x 3.099 x 3.099 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.135
Geography: Africa, Liberia, Nimba County
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Ritual Objects
Culture/Nationality: Mano, Liberian, West African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- Liberian - Style and culture of the nation of Liberia, a West African state founded in 1822.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
Owner Name: Jane Martin, Class of 1953
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Ownership Start Date: May 19, 1986
Ownership End Date: May 1, 2016
Owner Name: Abu Malik
Place: Randall Street, Monrovia, Liberia
Ownership End Date: May 19, 1986
Remarks: Monrovia is an assumption made. Randall Street and Liberia are known.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0067787.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0067821.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0067785.
- Eckart Von Sydow, "The Image of Janus in African Sculpture." African Arts 5, no. 1 (January 1932): 14-27.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Mano Janus-faced Ke-Die (Stela)".View current selection of records as: