Figure19th century - 20th century
10 x 2.5 x 2.25 in. (25.4 x 6.35 x 5.715 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- female - Referring to the sex that normally produces eggs or female germ cells.
- Ghanaian - Style and culture of the people of the nation of Ghana.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0051765.
- "African Heritage Document and Research Center." (Accessed June 11, 2020): AHDRC.eu. Record No.: 0051734.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts Collections Database." (Accessed July 1, 2020): https://www.vmfa.museum/collections/collections-archive/. Accession No.: 94.3.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BAWQU" and [Object]Culture-Nationality is "Akan, Ghanaian, West African, African".View current selection of records as: