Wakemia or Wunkirmian (Ceremonial Ladle)19th century - 20th century
12 x 2.875 x 1.5 in. (30.48 x 7.303 x 3.81 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2016.14.146
Geography: Africa, Côte d'Ivoire or Liberia
Classification: Ceremonial and Performance Artifacts; Ritual Objects
Culture/Nationality: Dan, Ivorian or Liberian, West African, African
Collection: Jane Martin Collection
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- Janus-faced - Used for objects, typically masks or figures, with two faces positioned front-to-back or side-to-side.
- ritual objects - Objects used for a particular ritual activity, often as part of a ceremony.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
- wunkermian - Large, wooden, serving spoons with carved handles, typically in the form of a human head, domestic animals or ornament, used by the Dan and neighboring peoples in Liberia in association with feasts, and serving as a symbol of hospitality and generosity.
The following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- "Rand African Art." (Accessed May 9, 2020): Randafricanart.com. http://www.randafricanart.com/Dan_Wunkirmian_spoon_1.html.
- Eckart Von Sydow, "The Image of Janus in African Sculpture." African Arts 5, no. 1 (January 1932): 14-27.
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BPKFB".View current selection of records as: