Ail en Carene (Allium Carinatum)
|Showing 1 of 1||
Pierre Joseph Redouté
French (1759 - 1840) Primary
Ail en Carene (Allium Carinatum)1802 - 1816
21.167 x 14 in. (53.763 x 35.56 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- botanical illustrations - Drawings, prints, or other pictures that illustrate plants and their parts, often accurately rendered from life.
- botany - The scientific study of all plant life, including their structure, properties, and biochemical processes.
- engraving - The intaglio process in which the design is incised into a printing plate, usually a flat copper plate, with the aid of a graver or burin that is held in the palm of the hand and pushed against the copper to cut lines comprising V-shaped grooves. The plate is then inked up, wiped so that ink is retained in the grooves and then forced out under the pressure of the printing process to create lines on the paper. The technique was first developed in the early 15th century in Germany, probably by goldsmiths who wished to keep records of the designs they had engraved on their wares. The process is distinct from "wood engraving (process)," which is a process for relief printing; "wood cut (process)" refers to engraving wood blocks for printing. Historically, "engraving" has sometimes been used incorrectly to refer to all printmaking processes, particulalry any process employing printing plates. For the single step of incising an inscription or design into any surface, not only a printing plate, see "engraving (incising)."
- flower - General term for any decorative motif in the form of a flower, which is the showy reproductive part of flowering plants or angiosperms. Common examples are motifs resembling roses, tulips, lilies, or daisies.
- flower - Material comprising flowers, which are the reproductive portion of any plant in the division Magnoliophyta (Angiospermae).
- reference books - Books intended primarily for consultation rather than for consecutive reading.
- Sheet Dimensions: 21.167 x 14 in. (53.763 x 35.56 cm)
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Ail en Carene (Allium Carinatum)".View current selection of records as: