Canape Fork in Shape of Seal20th century
Likely Walrus Ivory
4.688 x 0.375 x 0.313 in. (11.906 x 0.953 x 0.794 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2019.33.152
Other Number(s): Inuit_Ivory.152 (Temporary Number)
Geography: North and Central America, Canada or United States
Classification: Tools and Equipment; Food Processing, Preparation, & Service; Food Service
Culture/Nationality: Arctic, North American
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Arctic - In the context of art and culture, the culture of the indigenous peoples of the northern polar region of the earth, including the Arctic Ocean and the northernmost parts of Asia, Europe, and North America. The term may also refer to the animals, plants, climate, geology, geography, and oceanography of the area.
- forks - Articles of flatware having a handle with a shank terminating in two or more tines, used to manipulate food especially in serving and eating.
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- seals - General term for any of 32 species of web-footed aquatic mammals that live chiefly in cold seas and whose body shape, round at the middle and tapered at the ends, is adapted to swift and graceful swimming. There are two types of animals often called by this term: the earless, or true, seals (family Phocidae); and the eared seals (family Otariidae), which comprise the sea lions and fur seals.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
- Object Dimensions: 4.688 x 0.375 x 0.313 in. (11.906 x 0.953 x 0.794 cm)
Portfolio List Click a portfolio name to view all the objects in that portfolioThis object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BEIOL".View current selection of records as: