Inupiaq Woven Baleen Basket with Carved Seal Finial
|Showing 1 of 1||
Inupiaq Woven Baleen Basket with Carved Seal FinialLikely 1975 - 2010
4 x 4.5 x 4.5 in. (10.16 x 11.43 x 11.43 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
This object has the following keywords:
- Arctic - In the context of art and culture, the culture of the indigenous peoples of the northern polar region of the earth, including the Arctic Ocean and the northernmost parts of Asia, Europe, and North America. The term may also refer to the animals, plants, climate, geology, geography, and oceanography of the area.
- baleen - A horny keratinous material derived from the mouth of whales.
- baskets - Containers made of twigs, rushes, thin strips of wood, or other flexible material woven together.
- North American - Refers to the cultures of the continent of North America, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Arctic Circle, and Central America. In classifications schemes based on physical geography, Central America, and North America are parts of the same continent.
- pigment - Any relatively insoluble organic, inorganic, natural or artificial substance that imparts a color to another substance or mixture and always appears as the same specific color when viewed in white light. It is the constituent of paint or ink that provides the color. Distinguished from a dye, which is soluble in the vehicle, a pigment is insoluble in the vehicle, but instead is held in a suspension.
- seals - General term for any of 32 species of web-footed aquatic mammals that live chiefly in cold seas and whose body shape, round at the middle and tapered at the ends, is adapted to swift and graceful swimming. There are two types of animals often called by this term: the earless, or true, seals (family Phocidae); and the eared seals (family Otariidae), which comprise the sea lions and fur seals.
- walrus ivory - Material comprising the dentin of walrus tusks.
- weaving - Generally, the process of interlacing strands or strips of various materials, such as cane, textile, or twigs, to make materials or objects such as wicker, cloth, baskets, or wreaths. Specifically used for the process of making textile on a loom or other weaving device by interlacing warp and weft in a particular order.
- Object Dimensions: 4 x 4.5 x 4.5 in. (10.16 x 11.43 x 11.43 cm)
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Inupiaq Woven Baleen Basket with Carved Seal Finial".View current selection of records as: