Red Qipao (Cheongsam) with Silver Dragons and Clouds
|Showing 1 of 1||
Red Qipao (Cheongsam) with Silver Dragons and Clouds1930's
52.5 x 14 in. at bust (133.35 x 35.56 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2020.10.3
Geography: Asia, China
Classification: Clothing and Adornments; Clothing; Outerwear
Culture/Nationality: Chinese, Asian
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- Chinese - The cultures, styles, and periods characteristic of China. To specifically refer to the cultures of ancient Chine, use "Ancient Chinese."
- dresses - Main garments for women, children, or infants consisting of a bodice and skirt made in one or more pieces.
- embroidering - Refers to the process in which a needle and thread or fine wire are used to stitch decorative designs into cloth, leather, paper, or other material. It may also refer to the process used to create machine-made imitations of hand-made embroidery. For the weft patterning technique of weaving raised patterns on a woven textile, use "brocading."
- embroidery - Refers to works characterized by a pattern or design executed in stitches using thread or fine wire. The designs are typically executed on textiles, but leather, paper, or another media may also be used; the designs may be intended to be framed, or to decorate apparel, bed linens, furniture coverings, pillows, altar cloths, ceremonial hangings, or other items.
- silk - Textile made from silk fiber, which is a fiber derived from the cocoon of the silkworm moth.
- silver thread - Fiber or fiber-like material made wholly or in part from silver.
- textiles - General term for carpets, fabrics, costume, or other works made of textile materials, which are natural or synthetic fibers created by weaving, felting, knotting, twining, or otherwise processing. For works of art or high craft that employ textile as a medium, prefer "textile art (visual works)."
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Bibliography ListThe following Bibliography exist for this object:
- Robert K. Liu, "My Mother's Formal Qipao." Ornament: The Art and Craft of Personal Adornment 36, no. 2 (2012): 30-31.
Comparanda ListThe following Comparanda exist for this object:
- "Victoria and Albert Museum Online Collection." (Accessed October 6, 2020): Victoria & Albert Museum, http://collections.vam.ac.uk/. Accession No.: FE.49-1997.
- "The Met Online Collections Database." The Met Collection. (Accessed April 9, 2020): The Metropolitan Museum of Art, https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/. Accession No.: 1976.303.1.
- "Museum of Fine Arts Boston: Online Collections." (Accessed July 1, 2020): collections.mfa.org. Accession No.: 2004.2060.
Related Bibliography ListThe following Related Bibliography exist for this object:
- Sally Yu Leung, "The Last Empress in Qipao: From Manchu to China Chic." Ornament: The Art and Craft of Personal Adornment 35, no. 5 (2012): 58-63.
- "China National Silk Museum." Mountains and Water: Global Qipao Invitational Exhibition (2018): China National Silk Museum, http://www.chinasilkmuseum.com/yz/info_98.aspx?itemid=26824.
Related Object(s) Click a record to view
Pair of Red Shoes
Your current search criteria is: Object is "Red Qipao (Cheongsam) with Silver Dragons and Clouds".View current selection of records as: