Japanese (1867 – 1945) Primary
Woman with Sword Standing over Bloodied Body, Chasing Another off BalconyMeiji
10 1/8 x 8 1/4 in. (25.718 x 20.955 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2022.13.117
Other Number(s): Kinsen102 (Donor Number)
Geography: Asia, Japan
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Prints; Woodcuts
Keywords Click a term to view the records with the same keywordThis object has the following keywords:
- diptychs - Refers to works comprising pairs of panels hinged together. They were used by the ancient Romans for writing tablets, often having images on the outer surfaces. In Medieval and later times, they were used primarily to support images for altarpieces and other purposes, most often composed of carved ivory or of painted wood panels, with the primary images on the interior surfaces.
- edged weapons - Weapons featuring a sharp edge or point for cutting, thrusting, clubbing, slashing, or various combinations thereof.
- kimonos - Loose, wide-sleeved garments fastened around the waist with an obi or broad sash, traditionally worn by Japanese men and women.
- Meiji - Period and style that coincides with the rule of emperor Mutsuhito, called Meiji, from 1868 to 1912. The period is characterized by a transformation from feudalism to a modern industrial state, taking western nations as a model. After the Vienna Exposition of 1873, artists were encouraged to produce traditional arts and crafts for export, such as carvings in wood and ivory and laquer. The art of the period also saw the influence of western art and architecture.
- woodcuts - Prints made using the process of woodcut, which is a relief process in which the design is cut into and printed from the plank side of a wood block; distinct from "wood engraving (process)," which is a relief process using the grain end of a wood block.
Additional Images Click an image to view a larger version
Owner Name: S. Kathleen Doster, Class of 1978
Place: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, USA
Acquisition Method: Purchased from Robyn Buntin of Honolulu
Disposal Method: Donation to Bryn Mawr College
Ownership Start Date: 2/9/2008
Ownership End Date: 7/22/2022
Your current search criteria is: Keyword is "BOWUG" and [Object]Century is "20th century".View current selection of records as: