Male Figurineca. 1969
State: Made for the tourist market in a traditional style
12 1/4 in. x 3 1/4 in. x 3 in. (31.12 cm x 8.26 cm x 7.62 cm)
Bryn Mawr College
Accession Number: 2013.23.4
Geography: Africa, Guinea-Bissau
Classification: Fine and Visual Arts; Sculptures
Culture/Nationality: Bijogo, Bissau-Guinean, West African, African
This object has the following keywords:
- African - Refers to the cultures of the continent of Africa, which is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, and the Mediterranean Sea.
- carvings - Refers to works executed by cutting a figure or design out of a solid material such as stone or wood. It typically refers to works that are relatively small in size, are part of a larger work, or are not considered art. For large and medium-sized three-dimensional works of art, use the broader term "sculpture" or another appropriate term.
- figurative art - Art that portrays forms recognizably derived from objective sources, in however altered or distorted form. Includes but not limited to representations of the human figure.
- Guinea-Bissauan - Style and culture of the people from Guinea-Bissau.
- tourism - The industry providing facilities and services to people traveling for recreation.
- West African - Styles and cultures from the region comprising the westernmost area of the African continent, defined by the United Nations as including the modern nations of Benin, Burkina Faso, Côte d'Ivoire, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo.
- wood - The principal tissue of trees and other plants that provides both strength and a means of conducting nutrients. Wood is one of the most versatile materials known.
This object was included in the following exhibitions:
- A Curious Group; a cabinet of curiosities Bryn Mawr College , Apr 4, 2014 – Jun 30, 2014
The following Bibliography exist for this object:
and Nathanael Roesch.
A Curious Group.
Bryn Mawr College.
Bryn Mawr, PA, April 4–June 1, 2014
Figure Number: Wood 13
The following Comparanda exist for this object:
- Museu da Guiné, “Regional Art Exhibition in Guinea.” Filmed April 4, 1964 at National Ethnographic Museum, Bissau, Guinea-Bissau. Video, 02:46. (https://arquivos.rtp.pt/conteudos/exposicao-de-arte-regional-na-guine/?fbclid=IwAR3bQTGz5pFPi1ydeIk3f4JQQCKktxj81J_ykrMT7SHwxvEnvglu0sqF37I, ),
This object is a member of the following portfolios:
Your current search criteria is: Agent is "Mario Vieira".View current selection of records as: